Who are we?
The Parramatta Marist Old Boys’ Union Scholarship Fund Inc., (the Scholarship Fund), is an initiative of the Parramatta Marist Old Boys Union. Although supported by the Old Boys’ Union, the Scholarship Fund is a separate legal entity, an incorporated association, and is separately governed. The management committee consists of duly elected Old Boys but is usually not exactly the same office bearers and members as that of the management committee of the Old Boys’ Union.
A Scholarship sub-committee which includes the principal of Parramatta Marist High or their nominee has various functions including:
- recomendations as to the scholarships that will be offered including amounts and the criteria for award of each scholarship;
- publicity for applications being open for particular scholarships;
- assessing applications against the criteria for each scholarship and awarding scholarships. This is done on a strictly confidential basis to respect the privacy of the applicants and those awarded the scholarships. These processes are subject to an independant annual review to ensure the integrity of the system;
- co-opting nominees with expertise in certain fields of endeavour relevant to the particular scholarship or bursary. These nominees may include members of the Parramatta Marist High School community; and
- the day to day working of the Scholarship Fund.
The Parramatta Marist Old Boys’ Union Scholarship Fund Inc. is a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission, ABN 39 739 941 600.
The Scholarship Fund is endorsed as a Deductible Gift Recipient by the Australian Taxation Office. Donations to the Scholarship Fund of $2 and over are tax-deductible.
The Objectives of the Old Boys’ Union Scholarship Fund
The purposes of the Scholarship Fund are restricted to jointly raising and administering funds to be provided to eligible scholarship recipients. Whilst Australian citizen or permanent resident is eligible to apply, the scholarships are solely for the purposes of promoting the recipient’s education by providing funds to meet costs that are directly related to their education at Parramatta Marist High School.
Such costs may include (but are not limited to) textbooks, camps, retreats, uniforms, equipment (e.g. iPads) as well as school incursions and excursions. The criteria for the award of scholarships are merit, for reasons of equity, or a combination of both [Paragraph 4(7) of the OBU Scholarship Fund Inc. Constitution]. Specific scholarships or bursaries may have additional criteria.
Scholarships and bursaries are awarded by the Management Committee of the Scholarship Fund on the basis of recommendations made by a panel, (the Scholarship Sub-committee), made up of The Principal of Parramatta Marist High or their nominee, one or more Management Committee Members, and where applicable, nominees with expertise in certain fields of endeavour relevant to the particular scholarship or bursary. These nominees may include members of the Parramatta Marist High School community.
In accordance with the Scholarship rules, scholarship funds are paid to or at the direction of, the recipient’s parents or guardians subject to all expenditure being substantiated.
Ultimately, we wish to ensure that every student who attends our great school has an experience equal to that of their peers, and they know they are part of a wider community whose alumni care deeply about them as one of its future members. Read some testimonials from Old Boys about how Parramatta Marist provided the foundations for their future.